NEW 06/17/2011 – Now based on XXJVP (Android 2.3.4)
Want to update you Bell or Virgin Samsung Galaxy S (I9000M) to the latest and greatest version of Android – 2.3 aka Gingerbread?
I’ve created a custom ROM for your upgrading pleasure that makes it as easy as possible to get the update and keep full compatibility with the Canadian cell phone networks.
Here are the features:
- Based on the latest Android 2.3.4 (XXJVP)
- Latest CF-Root kernel (3.7), with ext4 (lagfix) support
- Includes the latest Bell modem driver (KC1), so it’s fully compatible with the Canadian networks like Bell/Virgin/Rogers/Fido/Telus (1900/850 3G bands)
- Visuals from the stock Android OS – AOSP lock screen, overscroll glow, CRT off animation and Gingerbread theme (credit to ock)
- Extended power menu for easy reboots
- NEW! GPS fix for faster lock times, better accuracy (credit to RJLM)
- TouchWiz launcher
- Samsung Apps
- Swype keyboard (optional – use add-on)
- Media Player (optional – use add-on)
- Default live wallpapers
- Some other non-important widgets, apps
- Click here for complete list of removed apps (advanced user)
Basically the idea was to make the ROM as “light” as possible by removing the included Samsung apps that are best replaced by apps from the market anyway. This ROM should give you excellent speed and battery life right out of the box.
Download Swype + Music Player Add-On (flash with CWM)
- Make sure you’ve backed up any apps / data you need to keep
I would recommend using Titanium Backup. Also, it is best when upgrading to a new version of Android to only backup your user apps and not to include any system data.
- Copy the XXJVP_Deodexed_I9000M.zip ROM file to your phone.
- Upgrade to the Gingerbread bootloader
You need to do this only if you’re currently running the original ROM (or any Android 2.2 ROM). Read and follow the instructions here carefully.
- Flash the XXJVP_Deodexed_I9000M.zip update using CWM.